Thursday 2 August 2012

Reclaim your lunch


For those of you who don’t know me, I currently work in Chancery Lane. It’s a full-time (albeit temporary) position which doesn’t leave much time for an exploration of London during the weekdays. That’s probably best with the Olympics going on (I have already had some frustrating travel disasters in this first week).

Anyway, here in England, there is a campaign called “reclaim your lunch” which encourages people to utilise their lunch-breaks and not slave away at their desks.  I tend to take this seriously (I like my lunch-breaks very much) and so in support of it, I thought I would let you guys know about what Chancery Lane has to offer and where I wonder during my lunch breaks. 

The Chancery Lane area is “the City” of the legal sector. There are endless Chambers, solicitors firms and of course the Royal Courts of Justice and I absolutely love the place! And although part of that love comes from my inner law-geek , the place itself is generally really pretty!

My office building looks out onto Grey’s Inn Gardens which aren’t particularly huge, but are so green and lovely, especially considering it’s in the very centre of the busy city. The gardens are only open from 12:30 to 14:30 on weekdays but it offers a wonderful little escape from the cars and fumes of the city. It’s lovely to see people bring their lunches and enjoy the sun (when it comes out, that is). A little further down is the Lincoln’s Inn Gardens which are slightly bigger and equally lovely and tranquil.

The view of Grey's Inn Gardens from my work place
By far my favourite part of Chancery Lane is the walk to the Royal Courts of Justice –which by the way, I also think is worth seeing, even for non-law enthusiasts because the building (inside and out) is pretty awesome! Walking to the court via Stone Buildings is wonderful and I could do it every day! The area is so old-looking, I always feel like I am stepping back into 18th century London. Although a short walk, in the small space of time, I tend to forget that I am in central London at all. For me, it's a place like no other and generally makes me feel so happy!
The famous Royal Courts of Justice



If anyone gives the place a visit, I hope you guys love the place as much as I do. In one of my later blogs, I’ll let you know on my take on eateries in the area.

Muah,

Roo xx

P.s. sorry about all the google-searched images: been quite ill recently so didn’t get to take any of my own pictures :/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment