Saturday 11 August 2012

So much food, so little time...


For those of you who don’t know me, I love my food! And having given you an insight into my favourite places around my workplace, it is only right for me to let you all in on some delicious places to eat around there too! (All that touring of Holborn would make anyone hungry!)

So I love my sushi and have found some pretty great places in and around work (I am sorry to admit though that most of them are chains). Abokado, Wasabi and Itsu are by far my favourite places, and I fear that soon, the staff will recognise me as a regular (quite a feat with all the people coming in and out). Whilst all of the places have great food, I find Itsu to have the best sushi, Wasabi to have delicious bento and Abokado to have lovely salads and wraps. Even better, Abokado sells half portions of wraps and shwaps which is great when you’re not particularly hungry or can’t decide what you want, with all those yummy choices!

Moving away from Japanese food, I have to give credit to my colleague-friend Kelly for finding Chilango (apparently the best Mexican in London). So far I have only tried their burritos, but they are so good, I can’t bring myself to order anything else! You pick and choose what you like in the burrito, so can custom make it: I’ve had a few combinations and they have all been delicious! I must also point out that the place and its atmosphere is another huge plus. The place is always buzzing, with high tables and stools and the staff are so lovely! They are incredibly cheery and friendly and irrespective of the day I’m having, they are sure to cheer me up (what more could you want?!)
The picture really does not do this delicious burrito justice.
Excuse my photography skills :/ 

I have been meaning to go to John Charlick Foods for forever. Everyone at work seems to be in love with the place, so naturally, I had to try it too. On Fridays they have their very popular fish cakes, so I popped, ordering two fish cakes and a mix of their salads (also very popular, I understand) and it did not disappoint. The food was absolutely delicious (next time though, I'll stick to one fish cake and a salad). Anyway, I am very happy with this new (non-chain) discovery and will be sure to revisit the place soon.

Now as much as I love to eat out and try different places, I unfortunately can’t afford to do it every day and often alternate between eating out and making my own lunch. So I thought I would add this super easy salad (for the super time-poor city girl) that I’ve been making quite a few times. I’ll call it my “Cheater’s Chicken Salad”.

All you need is:
  • Mixed salad/lettuce
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Cucumber
  • Onion 
  • Feta cheese
  • Your choice of dressing
  • Avocado 
  • Cooked chicken (I either poach my own or buy some cooked tikka chicken slices from Sainsbury's - hence the "cheating")

Basically, I chop everything up, bar the avocado and chicken and store it in a plastic box. When I get to work, I warm up the chicken and drizzle on the dressing (I’ve been using the be good to yourself balsamic vinegar and drizzling it last minute stops the salad from wilting and becoming soggy). Cut in some avocado and voila- you’ve got yourself a yummy salad (even if I do say so, myself).

And for dessert (because you have to have dessert) I like to pop down to the fruit vendors by Chancery Lane station. They have the nicest, freshest fruit that's really very cheap. Absolutely delicious!

Hope you guys get to try some of these places and love them as much as I do!


Muah, 


Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment