Sunday 26 August 2012

Change of plans

My plan for Saturday was to have a "me" day. I am not talking about pampering but just spending time on my own (with the city that I love). That didn't quite plan out. Nevertheless, I have to say I had a great day in the end. I'll start from the beginning to let you all in on my Saturday shenanigans.

I absolutely love to read but haven't managed to read many non-law textbooks during my degree, so since finishing my studies, I took the opportunity to read, read and then read some more. I have (finally) finished the book I have been reading, The Lucifer Effect. It's a pretty intense psychology book which I have been intending to read since doing my Psychology A-level but only started it recently. Having finished it, I was looking forward to going to a bookshop and buying some more easy-going books. By far, my favourite bookshop is Foyles in Leicester Square. I think I could have spent the entire weekend there. Along with having endless amounts of books (pretty much what you would expect from a bookshop), it has this lovely, welcoming feel which allows you to sit in a corner and escape from the world for as long as you like. I started my day there (on my own) and bought "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald Charles Dickens's "David Copperfield". I haven't really been impressed with the recent non-fiction that I've been reading, so I figured you can't go wrong with a classic or two. 
With my ipod in, this is a pretty good depiction of my day
My mum had called me to let me know she'd be joining me for the day -which is a rarity. I had intended to go to the National Gallery (which I love so much) and figured would stick to this plan. When the rain is pouring (which is the only way to describe Saturday's weather) I think there's nothing better than spending the day in  a museum/gallery. We spent most of the day there, walking around and enjoying being safe in the dry building. I intend to one day rent out those headphones that all the tourists wear and actually develop a better understanding of the paintings which I think are so beautiful/amazing (in my amateur opinion). 
Seems like I wasn't the only one who thought the gallery
would be a good idea
We were later joined by my cousin's girlfriend, Edita and all headed down to the Haagen Dazs cafe in Leicester Square and treated ourselves to some delicious desserts - I had a crepe with strawberry and chocolate ice cream - which did not disappoint. It pretty much acted as our dinner because the desserts are so filling. We tried to walk off some of those delicious calories, so we headed down to Covent Garden and just walked around there. My mum then headed home as she wasn't really dressed for the sudden drop in temperatures in her sandals and short sleeved top (it was sunny when she had left home). 

So me and Edita headed down to the O'Neills pub in Soho for a drink. We chatted for a bit and enjoyed some pretty good live music - it was so nice to sit down after all that walking. Anyway, it's safe to say that despite the fact that my day was different to what I initially planned, I had a great, relaxing day. 

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend!


Muah,


Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment