Monday 27 August 2012

Notting Hill Carnival


Usually, I spend my Sundays the way they were meant to be spent: being lazy. I am going to be honest (and risk sounding like a complete bore) but I love to spend my Sundays in bed, watching tv, reading a good book and just generally chilling out. But I decided to live a little this extra-long weekend and ventured to the Notting Hill Carnival with my cousin Donatas  and his (already mentioned) girlfriend Edita.

I had never been to the Carnival before and wasn’t quite sure what to expect but I ended up being very pleasantly surprised. We chose to ignore all the maps we were given on exiting the station and the policemen everywhere, offering directions, instead deciding to wander from street to street and seeing what we find.

We came across a tiny parade but didn’t manage to see much aside from these bizarre, decorated face moulds (they probably have a real name, but I don’t know it) which were pretty cool. Walking around, the atmosphere was awesome, with lots of great music and people dancing around everywhere. There was also amazing-smelling food everywhere but unfortunately I didn’t get to try any. Instead, I settled for some Rum Punch which was absolutely delicious! It didn’t taste like alcohol at all which meant it didn’t last very long!

In the end, whilst I didn’t see anything in particular, I had a great time taking in the atmosphere, dancing around a little and enjoying the beautiful sunshine (which I did not foresee, following Saturday’s weather and so was all layered-up). I think I will aim to go to the Monday session next year which apparently is adults-only. Going on a Sunday though was a great way to introduce me to the very popular Notting Hill Carnival.

Hope you all enjoy your week,

Muah,

Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment