Saturday 9 March 2013

And so the search begins...

Now that I have passed my probation at work, flat-hunting has begun in earnest. Since graduating, I have lived back at home with my parents and little brother which has not been good for my health or my sanity! As it turns out, the search isn't very good for my sanity either.

When I started my search, I had no idea where I wanted to stay, only where I definitely did not want to stay - namely east London, south East London or anywhere else dodgy - and the fact that it had to be in the first three zones. Some of the ads were just plain ridiculous, everything from people offering "very small, cozy, box rooms" - ummm, I'm not sure there would be enough room for my handbag, to sharing a room and offering a discount on rent if you agree to keeping the flat clean, i.e. to being their daily cleaner! No thanks! In the midst of all the rubbish, there were a few reasonable ads, so on Monday I had my first viewing (actually, my first two). I ventured out to Tooting Broadway -where I had never been before- and it was a scary place! As soon as I got off the train, I knew I did not want to live there but went to the houses anyway. And I was not impressed. I was convinced that one of the houses was going to collapse in on itself because it was so old and the other was decent but because of the location, I turned it down.
Such a big place, so many viewings.
Mid-week, I had a viewing in Southfields. I have never toured the place properly but made a few trips up for Wimbledon and I had always really liked it. Well when I got there for the viewing, I fell in love with the place! I have never felt to safe in a place in my life and it's surrounded by parks and shops and everything that you could possibly want (and is perfect for getting to work!). Unfortunately, the room was teeny tiny! They had a single-door wardrobe! Really?! Since that viewing, I have decided that Southfields would be the perfect location to live. Of course with the perfect location, comes crazy-high  rent prices and having settled on Southfields, it's tough to look for places anywhere else as nothing else seems to be good enough!

I had another viewing on Friday but whilst the people living there seemed lovely, the landlord really nice and the place was clean and modern, again the room was tiny and it didn't have a living room which made it all very claustrophobic. Honestly though, at the end of the viewing I just did not want to leave the area! It's just too nice! And travelling all the way back to south east London was more than a little depressing.

Anyway, after a week of unsuccessful viewings, I am absolutely exhausted! It's not so much the travelling to the viewings that's the problem, it's the very long journeys back! Thankfully, the weekend is going to be viewing-free, as most of it will be spent sorting out my mum's mother's day present and buying food for the dinner I'll be making tomorrow. Now, I am having the perfect Saturday morning, with a cup of coffee and season five of The Big Bang Theory (which came in the post last night!) - not wanting to leave the warm, dry house for the wet streets.
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Muah,

Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment