Saturday 12 January 2013

Ice Ice Baby!

As most Londoners know - or rather, most British inhabitants - the big freeze has enveloped the city and the country. You would think that having been born and raised (until the age of eight, at least) in Lithuania, I would be able to deal with a bit of cold weather. That, however is absolutely not the case. I love the sun and hot weather which I guess makes London the wrong city for me. Nevertheless, I refused to allow the weather to defeat me and decided to face the city head on (albeit with most of my face hidden in a snood).

I met up with Jess in Greenwich park. The park has always been one of my favourite places in the city. Having studied for my A-levels not too far from Greenwich, I was used to making weekly trips to the park and no matter what mood I was in, it could always make me feel happy and content. However, with the Olympic preparations, I steered clear of the place as the park has been completely ruined with all the preparations. So it was lovely to see the place, post-Olympics. We walked around Cutty Sark and grabbed a bite to eat at  Tai Won Mein. Usually, whenever we want to grab some Chinese food, we head to Noodle Time but decided to try someplace new. It didn't quite pay off. The staff were very rude, my spring rolls were very oily with too much pastry and not enough veg and whilst our noodles were nice enough, they were slightly too greasy. After lunch, we decided to walk our huge lunch off and headed to the park. The part of the park which was turned into the arena for all the equestrian and dressage for the Olympics is still a mess, with lots of up-turned soil but the rest of the park was lovely and quiet. The trees were their usual barren self, but it definitely had a calming effect on me and made me very glad I came. After our walk, we headed to a cute little sweet shop which sold old-school sweets (mostly American) and after failing to find some Fizz Wizz (which is my childhood sweet), we decided to try some Willy Wonka taffy which left us with blue tongues and lips. Gotta love regression to childhood!




After our sugar rush, we headed to Canary Wharf where we met up with Donatas and Edita to have a look at the London Ice Sculpting Festival. The weather was ridiculously cold, in spite of which the sculptures were melting ever-so-slightly and since it was evening, it was harder to appreciate the intricate detail of sculptures but they were still so amazing and with the all the lighting and lit up trees, the place looked absolutely lovely!






After our little tour, Edita and Donatas headed home and me and Jess, unable to feel our fingers or toes (or parts of our faces), we headed inside to grab a coffee - Starbucks, of course! I have to say, it was a bit of a mission to find a Starbucks with seating inside Canada Square - a problem which I have never experienced before but in our search, I did come across Sweet Couture Cupcake Boutique and couldn't resist a little cupcake! And honestly, they were amazing! A cupcake, followed by a skinny vanilla latte: the ideal dinner, if you ask me!


All in all, I have had the most wonderful day. And now there is nothing left to do but put on some comfy and warm PJs, pour myself a glass of wine and watch a film or two. A very successful Saturday if you ask me!

Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

Muah,


Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment