Thursday 6 March 2014

Dangerous combination of shoes on wheels and alcohol

Another weekend has come and gone. This one has proved to be pretty great and a very painful!
Following a not-so-great day on Friday –due to work and major transport issues- I ended up in Vauxhall to celebrate Natz turning another year younger! This was done at a roller disco. Me being unable to skate, or complete any activity that involves balancing, it wasn’t something I was looking forward and was very worried for the safety of my bones. Having fallen down before managing to stand up (yes, that’s possible!) I had to have a couple of drinks before letting Richard and Frosty pull me around the place. Although not the most dignified night out I’ve had, I did end up having a lovely time as, most importantly, did Natz.
I woke up on Saturday with some huge, incredibly painful bruises and my Saturday morning run didn’t help the pain at all. Saturday being Natz’s actual birthday, me and Richard headed out to buy food and prepare a birthday-breakfast fry up for the slightly-worse-for-wear birthday gal. The breakfast was delicious – even if I do say myself, having cooked most of it myself. After breakfast, me and Richard went out for a Starbucks coffee before I rushed off to meet Aurelija and her boys at Green Park. The sun was still out and although slightly chilly, the walk around the park was really nice and the boys seemed to enjoy feeding the ducks, so it was generally a lovely afternoon.
Birthday breakfast preparations
In the evening, Richard came up to Central and we went out for dinner at Busaba Eathai by Leicester Square. We’ve been meaning to go for a while (since we’re both fans of Wagamama and this is supposed to be a slightly more upscale, Thai version of that). Like Wagamama, the tables were shared and so the atmosphere remained quite loud and buzzing. The interior was completely different though; the lighting was low, there was dark wood and candles everywhere and the tables were square which created a more intimate and warm atmosphere which I really liked. I ordered the jungle chicken curry with jasmine rice (the rice had to be ordered separately) and Richard had beef stir fry with rice. The food was delicious! Although not as spicy as the menu suggested, the curry was really good; perhaps it is the nature of Thai cuisine but the food tasted as if it was far more slow cooked and fully prepared compared to the food at Wagamama. Sadly, Busaba Eathai doesn’t offer dessert, only dessert teas. Rather than taking this as a sign that dessert should be given a miss, instead me and Richard headed up to Wagamama for its delicious apple and cinnamon dumplings. Returning home shattered and cold, the evening was spent in front of my laptop, watching a film.
On Sunday, I headed up to Bethnal Green to visit a vintage furniture market with Rosie. The market was a lot smaller than we thought it’d be. It did have some lovely items (I really liked two matching green marble effect table lamps) but neither myself nor Rosie saw anything that we liked enough to buy and after a walk about, decided to head up to Spitalfields for lunch at Poppies Fish & Chips. The place was packed but luckily we managed to grab the last table – Poppies do offer a take away service but given that it was cold outside and there was no outside seating, that wasn’t much of an option. Besides, the interior was pretty cool, with vintage post cards all over the walls and the waitresses dressed up as sailors. The food was great too. We shared deep fried calamari for starters and had scampi and chips for mains, all of which was delicious. The portions were pretty big and although far from healthy, the food wasn’t too greasy and we left feeling very full indeed, prepared for some window shopping in Oxford Street.

Having returned home absolutely shattered, I had a mellow evening, watching rubbish telly. I genuinely had the nicest weekend and hopefully the next one will be just as great!

Muah


Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment