Thursday 9 October 2014

Holiday round up: Ölüdeniz, Turkey

Whilst I am aware that I am beginning to regularly start my posts like this, I must nevertheless apologise for the lack of blogging. As mentioned in my last post, I spent last week holiday-ing in Turkey, the week prior to which was a tense combination of working my last ever week at my job on Fleet Street and holiday prepping. This week, in turn has been filled with starting my brand new job in Southwark, unpacking, adjusting to the British weather and trying to get back into the cycle of waking up at an unreasonable hour. All in all, this has left me with very little time for blogging.

So… Turkey. I hadn’t been on a beach holiday in far too long so when Richard suggested going to Ölüdeniz, Turkey for a week in the sun, surrounded by the Mediterranean, I was on board. And what a holiday it was...
It being my first trip to Turkey, I was unsure of what to expect but was so pleasantly surprised! The family-run hotel was located just outside Ölüdeniz, in a town called Hisanoru. Recently renovated, it was clean, tidy and welcoming, providing lovely food for breakfast and dinner (our hotel was half board). The neighbouring town was filled with restaurants and fake merchandise stores, fully catered for the British Tourist with shops such as Primani, Azda, Saintsburys and Jimmy Shoe. Although it led to an entertaining mooch around, it was also a little disappointing. As someone who loves travelling, I enjoy experiencing different cultures and trying new things; even when feeling a little lost or overwhelmed by a new country, perhaps being taken out of my comfort zone – I feel that that is how you learn about the world outside the one you are used to. So, when in Turkey I was more than happy not to have fish and chips or an English breakfast and certainly didn’t need promises of Premier League football.

Arriving at Ölüdeniz, whilst still remaining tourist-focused, looking at the beautiful, surreal-blue Mediterranean, I definitely knew I was no longer in England! Most of our time in Ölüdeniz was spent soaking up the sun on the beautiful beach, snacking on melon, enjoying some cocktails in one of the many bars and taking in the beautiful sunsets.
In between soaking up the sun (and applying plenty of sunscreen) we took a trip to Fethiye which includeda trip to the harbour and the famous Tuesday Market, which along with lots of tourist friendly products, had spices, fruit and veg for the locals. It was a somewhat overwhelming experience, with sellers trying to endlessly attract your attention but it was a wonderful one too, in which I felt like I was truly experiencing Turkey. We also had a somewhat intense (and frightful) trip up to the top of a mountain, to visit Kaya Köya – Ghost Village. It was a village which was abandoned in the early 1900’s and was further ruined by an earthquake in the ‘30s. Ghost village was the most apt description for the deserted and eerily quiet village with empty, destroyed houses.
One of our days in Turkey was spent on a boat; we went on the 12 bay cruise on a boat called the Lemon Tree. It proved to be a great day, with a friendly people, great food (the lunch was provided) and gorgeous weather.We even had a lady approach (on her own boat) to bake us some pancakes! 
I think that’s enough waffling from me. In short, it proved to be a great week, with a great travel partner.I hope the pictures do justice to what a great holiday Turkey provided! 
Night night lovelies!

Muah


Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment