Thursday 18 September 2014

Wedding of the year: Edita & Donatas

As mentioned in my "checking in post", I spent this weekend in Lithuania to celebrate my cousin, Donatas marrying Edita - the new member of the family.

It proved to be an exhausting, non-stop weekend, in which -along with the 1.5 day wedding - I tried to incorporate seeing family members and some sightseeing -as this was Richard's first visit to Lithuania- along with some sleep (which there really wasn't enough of).

With a 6am start on Saturday, I had a rushed trip to the hairdresser's, rushing right back to make up my face, get dressed, before making my way to the bride's home. As the maid of honour, I spent most of the day with the bride and groom, seeing very little of Richard and the rest of the family. Nevertheless, it proved to be a beautiful day and a wonderful evening. The sun was shining, the weather was hot and Edita got what she wished for: autumn pictures, with orange leaves, everywhere!

After the church service in the city (a beautiful, intimate church off Freedom Avenue - a.k.a Laisves Aleja), the bridal party played games and drank champagne outside Kaunas Castle. We then travelled up to Raudondvario Dravas which is where the civil ceremony took place. The site was so busy, with endless numbers of weddings but so beautiful too - it was once a large estate owned by a rich family which has now become the go-to place for weddings. After more games and more champagne, we had to fulfil the Lithuanian tradition of the bride being carried over the bridge by the groom (along with the bridesmaids and their groomsmen).
Finally, we reached the venue for the reception which was surrounded by endless trees and other greenery. The evening was filled with a lot of alcohol, a lot of food and even more laughter, as I learnt of the many many, weird and (mostly) wonderful Lithuanian wedding traditions.
Come Sunday, the celebrations, alcohol and food continued. It was a far more relaxed day, most of which I spent wearing a veil (the bride's veil has to be passed on to Maid of Honour once she marries). We eventually headed home for a mini-rest before heading to Akropolis -the shopping centre- for dinner, bowling, coffee and a little family reunion.

Monday was our last day in Lithuania, most of which Richard, Rudy and I spent in Kaunas, sightseeing and eating.
For those who know me, will know I dread any trip to Lithuania - in spite of it being my hometown, it is not my favourite place to return to. Nevertheless, this year proved to be a really enjoyable trip. The wedding was beautiful and it was lovely to be part of the celebrations and to see two wonderful people, who are so clearly in love officially unite their lives and families together.

Muah

Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment