Sunday 8 June 2014

Mid-week Blues

I am sure the second sentence of this post today will get me little to no sympathy, but I am going to say it anyway. I haven’t worked a full 5-day week for over 6 weeks. Yes, it may be shameful and may make me not-so-great-an-employee but in my defence, there have been a lot of bank holidays in May! And then there was Rome… Basically, this week being my full week back in weeks has made it a rather challenging one. By Wednesday, the combination of a busy weekend and limited sleep made me a bit zombie-like so I decided to have a busy, lovely Wednesday evening (after a full day of work, of course) to help me survive the rest of the week (not quite as counterproductive as it sounds).

The Chambers for which I work has been lucky enough to have two barristers made silk this year (if you’re not sure what that means, I had a rambling post on this last year). For a mere mortal like me, this means one thing: a work Silk’s party. Our two new silks celebrated their career success at the London Symphony Orchestra. This was a beautiful 18th Century converted Church, building that was once a church, with beautiful high ceilings, old exposed brick walls and stunning windows. The place was stunning, with a great atmosphere – I managed to listen to our Chambers band, speak to some clients and colleagues and have a couple of glasses of champagne before heading off to Blackfriars to meet Richard who came down for the evening.

We walked to Southbank, reaching Wagamama just before the rain started pelting down. I had a lovely curry, finishing just as the rain subsided. We then made a trip to Oxford Circus for a cocktail and some Blues at the Lucky Pig which may be my new favourite cocktail bar. Having showed up quite late, the place wasn’t overly packed and we managed to get served quickly and found a very comfy, old sofa to sit on. The cocktails were slightly on the pricey side (the cheapest one being £10) but they were very unique sounding and quite delicious – I had a lovely French Martini which tasted like a liquid hard-boiled sweet. Yum! Inside, the walls were run down with bits of wall being stripped off but with candles, mirrors, a piano and beautiful Victorian sofas and chairs, it created the most cosy atmosphere. We also showed up just in time to hear the club’s Blues band, The Polar Bears who were really really good. It created the nicest atmosphere with great music and we returned home tired, relaxed and happy. It was the perfect evening to help me survive the rest of the working week!
Muah,


Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment