Wednesday 18 June 2014

London Travel

As a Londoner, I expect to do significant amounts of travel to get pretty much anywhere. Whilst this has its nuisances, most of the time I accept this as part of life in London (with signal failure related delays being the key exception). This weekend however, I took travel to a new extreme, spending what felt like most of the weekend on public transport.
 
After a hectic week at work, I celebrated the end of the week on Friday with Rosie over a bottle of wine at the Bistro 1 on Southampton Street in Covent Garden. We only had a bottle of Rose which was quite nice (but most importantly very well priced) and with the weather being summer-perfect, we spent the evening sitting at one of the outside tables. It was a lovely, relaxing evening and exactly what was needed after a crazy week.
Due to a line closure on the District line on Saturday, I had a very early start to make my way to Eastbourne. With a newspaper and a latte from Starbucks, the train journey out of Victoria wasn’t all that awful but still brought back memories of the endless amounts of travel I did between Exeter and London during university (really not all that fun. At all). In Eastbourne, I met Richard and we headed out to watch some qualifying tennis matches at the Aegon Eastbourne tournament.
We managed to see some good matches and had a lovely time, in spite of the sun being in hiding for most of the day and it being anything but warm. After a day of tennis, we headed back to London for pizza, wine and football (of course!). The pizzeria, Franco Manca has been opened for a week now in Southfields. Having seen the setting up of the place over the last couple of months, we ordered our sourdough pizzas to take away and enjoyed them in front of the telly. The pizzas were really quite delicious. Unfortunately, they seemed to have gotten cold before we even finished eating them (and I am a fast eater) and didn’t taste remotely as good but I can’t blame the pizzeria for my sheer laziness and refusal to get off the sofa and re-heat it! With my early morning start, I unfortunately fell asleep in the last 10mins of the England match, but was quite proud of the fact that I managed to watch most of it (even though it was a little disappointing to see them lose).
Following a good night’s sleep, a lovely (albeit a bit rushed) breakfast, me and Richard embarked on a 2.5 hour long journey to South East London, to visit my parents. The journey was little fun and involved a lot of changes but having reached my parents’ house, it was a rather nice afternoon filled with too much food and some telly (including football). My parents were on their best behaviour!
After a little too much food and wine, we started on the very long journey back home. Returning completely shattered, meant I went to sleep all but straight away…
Muah,
Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment