Tuesday 27 May 2014

British weather problems

A British Bank Holiday usually means a weekend filled with rain. Lots of rain. This bank holiday offered just that. In spite of the weather, however I managed to have a very lovely weekend!

Waking up to the sound of excessive rain on Saturday wasn’t quite the start I had hoped for. Nevertheless, I am proud to say that in spite of the rain, I managed to get myself up and out of bed and managed to go for a run. Having not been out for a run for over 3 weeks, I suffered more than a little and seriously questioned my sanity, being one of only two people running (amongst 3 dog and their furry friends) in the whole park. In the end, I was glad I went. I find it so relaxing to run in the rain and it is the only time I ever enjoy the endless raindrops on my skin. 
A bit of cheese for the evening...
After a relaxing morning spent breakfasting, searching the worldwide web and having a quick tidy, I started preparing a very early 3 course dinner for me and mum. The initial plan had been for me to take my mum for a trip to Richmond Park and come back to the flat for food but with the miserable weather outside, we skipped on the first part. Experiencing serious Rome withdrawal systems, I had been planning this three course meal all week and was very well prepared for it, having bought all the ingredients, on Friday after work.  The “menu” was as follows: -
  • Starter: Melon & Prosciutto
  • Main: Seafood spaghetti
  • Dessert: Fruit salad with coconut yoghurt

The plan was to have wine too but since mum drove up, that wasn’t an option. She did, however have a minuscule sip of the Limoncello which I bought from Rome which was sooooo good. It turned out to be a lovely afternoon/early evening. All the food was fresh and turned out quite delicious. I think my mum was also surprised by all the effort I went to, so a definite success in my eyes.
Melon & Prosciutto
After mum left, I managed to clear the kitchen before Chloe showed up for a girls’ night out. Sticking to our usual, we ended up at our go-to The Slug @ Fulham. We pre-drank at the flat more than was necessary and as usual had a gossip and a giggle before heading out for a long night of dancing. It goes without saying, that as always I ended up having a great night with a fabulous friend. This was evidenced by the world’s worst hangover, come Sunday morning.
Sunday turned out to be a bit of a wasted day, spent on the sofa with Domino’s pizza and the Big Bang Theory. In spite of feeling rotten, me and Chloe ended up laughing more than I thought humanly possible; the perfect result from knowing each other for 12 years.

In the evening, Richard came up for a visit. Due to my fragile state, we didn’t end up doing much aside from walking up to Sainsbury’s and taking in the last rays of sunshine with a walk around Wimbledon Park.

Feeling recovered on Monday morning, I woke up ready to play some tennis and do something productive. That determination quickly vanished when I heard and saw the endless rain. After mooching around the flat, myself and Richard did intend to head to a museum and maybe grab some burgers in Central, being a fan of (as previously mentioned) Brgr & Co and having heard great things about Patty & Bun. After some deliberation (in which the weather played quite a factor) we decided to forego Central London and make our own burgers. This did involve a trip to Wholefoods (my favourite food store) which was completely worth it, since we ended up making what may be the best burgers ever (yes, it is quite a statement but they were so good!!!) Beyond the productivity of cooking, we didn’t end up doing all that much. Most of the day was spent on the sofa, watching the French Open (which made us want to play even more) or flicking between channels. Given the weather, it was the ideal day.
Check list: beef patty, cheese, lettuce, roasted
cherry tomatoes on the wine, olives, onions,
cucumber and peppadew peppers
I hope everyone managed to have a wonderful weekend, however long or short.

Happy Tuesday, lovies!

Muah,


Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment