Tuesday 13 May 2014

April Showers in May

I hope everyone managed to stay warm and dry this weekend. Chances are, if you were in London for the weekend, neither was likely.
For whatever reason, in spite of having only a four day week, I started the weekend absolutely exhausted and therefore wasn’t in a fully functioning mode. That meant that Friday presented only one option: curry and an embarrassingly early night.

With Richard down in London for the weekend and the weather forecast looking unpromising, we tried to find touristy places with a roof. This inevitably led to us going to my favourite rainy-day tourist spot: the National Gallery. The place wasn’t as overly packed as I feared and we ended up mooching around the Gallery which never fails to have the most therapeutic effect on me. After our cultural intake, we went out for lunch to Itsu. Whilst Richard stuck to a chicken and rice potsu, I had some lovely sushi. After eyeing my lunch for ages, Richard eventually tried an entire half of a roll of my sushi (well done!) and seemed to like it except for the fact that it made him feel like he was eating the ocean. Yep! Enough said.  

After an impromptu umbrella purchase, we hid in Somerset House, stumbling on the Burnt Generation exhibition which displayed modern Iranian photography. Admittedly, aside from what’s reported in the news, I don’t know much about the Iranian conflict but looking at the different photographs was really interesting and some of it was quite moving. After the viewing, the sun came out so we used the opportunity to walk up to Covent Garden where I had the best cupcake ever at the Cupcake Bakehouse (raspberry cupcake with creamy, lemon icing may be the best combination ever!!!!)
Somerset House during a moment of sunshine
Realised that Richard had never been to Selfridges (??!?!!!), it turned out to be our next stop. We spent most of the time looking at either watches or food (I am so proud of the fact that I managed to to stay away from the bags). Eventually Richard headed back to the flat (for a fish finger dinner and movies with Natz) and I headed back up to Charing Cross to meet Chloe. We ended up grabbing dinner at Chiquito (yes, two weeks in a row but I did have a different meal and a different cocktail – speaking of which, the rum punch was delicious!) After far too much food, we headed up to Yates for a couple more drinks and a little bit of dancing. We spent most of the night people watching – there was a pair dancing in the middle to Grease’s “Hand drive”, with full blown flips, twists and rolling on the floor (pre and post falling over) which was immensely entertaining!

Sunday had an early start which I wasn’t quite prepared for. I journeyed up to Bethnal Green to meet my mum to go a church service in remembrance of my Grandad who passed away 3 years ago. After the service, me and mum headed up to Oxford Circus for some window shopping (along with some actual shopping). We ended up at the Strand for some lunch at Kimchee. I’ve mentioned Kimchee before, which is basically a Korean version of Itsu with a really nice welcoming interior (but very random, not completely comfortable chairs) and the nicest food! After lunch, we mooched around some more shops, grabbed some macaroons at Laduree for dessert and eventually made our separate ways home. Although I returned home beyond shattered, it was lovely to spend what is usually a tough day with my mum.
I hope everyone had a great weekend and will have a good week to follow (and manages to stay dry-ish!)

Muah


Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment