Sunday 29 July 2012

The 2012 London Olympics have begun...



In deciding to write a blog about London, I realised that I can’t really omit the London Olympics, and what better place to start than the opening ceremony.

I am going to be absolutely honest: my first impression of the ceremony was of slight disappointment. Me and my good friend Chloe headed to a bar (more on that in the next post) and only started watching it all mid-way through (from the little NHS dance) and I didn’t quite get it. Yes, it was very British but it didn’t feel like I was watching the Olympics at all. I mean, the Mr Bean thing was funny but I wasn’t sure how many people outside of Britain would truly appreciate the humour.

Having recorded the whole ceremony though, I was able to watch it all again the next morning from start to finish and my opinion changed quite a bit. Firstly, I LOVED the opening bit of London through history – the city’s history is one of my favourite things about London so to have that performed was pretty awesome! I still wasn’t 100% impressed with the NHS/Great Ormond Street Hospital – whilst it was nice to show our appreciation for them, throughout the whole thing, I did not once feel like I was watching the Olympic opening ceremony.

On a brighter note: my favourite bit of every Olympics opening ceremony is the coming in of the athletes! I love to see all the different players and all these amazing, proud nations (half of which I have never heard of) – and that definitely did not disappoint, especially when Chris Hoy was carrying the flag and got teary-eyed: that was very sweet (did anyone else feel like the Queen looked incredibly bored though?!)! It was at that point that I felt like I was watching the Olympic opening ceremony and from then on, it only got better. I thought the symbolism of the young athletes carrying the torches was absolutely lovely and the lighting of the cauldron was absolutely stunning! So all in all, an amazing finish – with some very good middle bits too! Let’s hope the rest of the Olympics don’t disappoint!

I would love to hear what everyone else thought of the opening ceremony (and the rest of the Olympics)!

Muah,

Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment