Tuesday 8 July 2014

A visit to the zoo in the dark

The last week and a half has been a bit of a blur as I've rushing around here, there and everywhere which is part of the reason behind my lack of blogging.

Last weekend, with Richard exploring Europe with his sister, Megan (lucky sods!) I decided to dedicate the weekend to my family. On Saturday, after a relaxed morning, I prepared lunch for Edita's visit. She brought over her wedding dress which she tried on (me being the amateur photographer), whilst I tried on my bridesmaid  dress. With the flat to ourselves, we had the nicest afternoon and evening, chattering away and drinking too much wine. On Sunday, I went to visit my parents, where I had some delicious food and had a lovely catch up with my mum. 

The rest of the week consisted of work, work and more work, along with a catch up with Frosty. 

After a long, painful week, I celebrated the start of the weekend with a trip to the zoo. To celebrate summer, every Friday, the London Zoo hosts Zoo Lates - an adults only evening at the zoo. Me, Richard, Natz and Co decided to try it out. 
Myself and Richard got to the zoo before the others, using the opportunity to grab a bite to eat (a combination of a Pret salad and Pad Thai from the zoo which was really quite delicious!) We then decided to look at some animals which proved to be quite disappointing. After much searching, we managed to find some penguins, llamas, camels, monkeys and tigers. By the time we found Natz and the gang and grabbed some cider, we were told that the animals were "asleep" and all we managed to see after that were snakes and lizards (not all that interesting or great, in my humble, city-girl opinion). Once the animals went to sleep, that's when the short lived (we were thrown out at 10pm) party started. We found ourselves in a carnival atmosphere, with music, shows, tricks and a silent disco. It was really quite a unique experience; looking at the animals, amongst the smell of alcohol and although the variety of animals was disappointing, the evening turned out to be pretty great and the carnival exactly what I would have hoped for!
With the disappointing weather on Saturday, me and Richard decided to have a relaxed day with a trip to Ikea. We spent the afternoon walking around, admiring all the rooms and grabbed some Swedish meatballs for lunch. In spite of my numerous trips to Ikea, this was my first try of the meatballs which proved to be quite delicious (and very filling!). Being Ikea'd out, we then did some (extensive) food shopping, before returning home absolutely shattered. After unpacking all of the shopping, we went out again for a game of tennis in the park. 
On Sunday, to celebrate the men's Wimbledon final, we had a BBQ at the flat. With an early(ish) start in the morning, me and Richard spent the morning preparing food, sorting the flat out and making a huge mess in the kitchen. Thankfully, absolutely everyone was late which gave us a chance to create the impression that we were completely prepared! The BBQ turned out to be pretty great; it was lovely to have everyone over; friends and family who I usually don't get a chance to hang out with together. Sadly, the result wasn't what I would have hoped for but nevertheless, it was a wonderful Sunday afternoon and a great tennis match!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Muah,

Roo xx

No comments:

Post a Comment